Course Title：Calculus (English Class) [2015/09-2015/01]
- Instructor： Prof. Han-Ming Wu (Associate Professor at Department of Mathematics)
- Office: Liu-hsien Memorial Science Hall, S432, Phone extension number: 3147。
- Office Hour： (Fri.) 17:10~18:00。 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Class：The Bachelor of Global Financial Management (English Program) (商管學院全球財務管理全英語學士學位學程)
- Credit：2/semester。Required/Elective: Elective。
- Time： Thr/08, 09; Classroom: B702。
- TA's class: Tue。Teaching assistant: Jing-Han Xiao。
- Course website: http://www.hmwu.idv.tw
TOP: grade (quizs, midterm exam) records。(latest updated: 2016/01/15)
- [2016/01/15] Question sheets: Quiz (1)-(4) | Midterm Exam | Final Exam
- [2015/01/08] Section 3.3, Ex3-5.
- [2015/12/19] [***Important***] Please fill out the Final Term Teaching Survey 「期末教學意見調查」。From 2015/12/21(Mon) to 2016/01/03(Sun)。
- [2015/11/23] 調課通知 (class switching): 12/17(Thr) lecturer's class <=> 12/01(Tue) TA's class (互調)。
- [2015/10/27] Midterm Exam: 2015/11/19(Thr), Time: 16:20~17:50，B426，Section1.1~Section xx.
- [2015/10/27] [***Important***] Please fill out the Midterm Teaching Survey 「期中教學意見調查」。From 2015/10/26(Mon) to 11/08(Sun)。
- [2015/10/02] The classroom has changed from B606 to B702.
- [2015/07/13] handouts and exercises
- [2015/07/05] Teaching plan: see below。
This course introduces the theory of the Calculus, the calculation approaches and its applications. The contents include the (1) functions, graph of function, and limit, (2) differentiation and its applications, (3) exponential and logarithmic functions and their derivatives and so on. We aim to improve students' interests in learning and to develop their thinking and computing abilities.
Tentative Syllabus (the syllabus is always subject to change according to the needs of the course as the professor sees fit)：
|1||9/17||(V) Course Introduction, 1.1~1.2: Functions, The Graph of a Function|
|2||9/24||(V) 1.3~1.4: Linear Functions, Functional Models|
|3||10/1||(V) 1.5: Limits|
|4||10/8||(V) 1.6: One-Sided Limits and Continuity|
|5||10/15||(V) 2.1~2.2: The Derivative, Techniques of Differentiation||Quiz (1): 1.1~1.6|
|6||10/22||(V) 2.3 Product and Quotient Rules; Higher-Order Derivative|
|7||10/29||(V) 2.4~2.5: The Chain Rule, Marginal Analysis and Approximations Using Increments||
|8||11/5||(V) 2.6: Implicit Differentiation and Related Rates||Quiz (2):|
|9||11/12||(V) 3.1: Increasing and Decreasing Functions; Relative Extrema||
Quiz (2): 1.6~2.2
|11||11/26||(V) 3.2: Concavity and Points of Inflection|
|12||12/3||(V) 3.3: Curve Sketching|
|13||12/10||(V) 3.4~3.5: Optimization; Elasticity of Demand, Additional Applied Optimization||Quiz (3): 2.4~2.6|
|14||12/17||4.1: Exponential Functions; Continuous Compounding|
|15||12/24||4.2: Logarithmic Functions|
|16||12/31||4.3: Differentiation of Exponential and Logarithmic Functions||Quiz (4):
|17||1/7||4.4: Additional Applications; Exponential Models||Quiz (4): 3.1~3.2
Textbook：Laurence Hoffmann, Gerald Bradley, David Sobecki, and Michael Price, Calculus for Business, Economics and the Social and Life Sciences, Brief Edition 11/e. McGraw-Hill Science. [新月圖書代理]
- Quizzes：30 % (four quizzes, each 7%、7%、8%、8%)。
- Midterm-exam：25 % 。
- Final-exam：30 % 。
- TA: 15% 。
- Extra: attendance, in-class performance/discussion, learning attitude, and so on。(No adjustment made for personal reasons)。
- No homework assignments.
Note (in class)：
- The lecture is based on the use of chalk and blackboard. Please print lecture notes before class.
- Rules on leave-taking by students: [淡江大學學生請假規則 第六條; 淡江大學學則 第三十八條]
- Treat each other with mutual respect in the classroom.。
- Do not be late to class. Be on time.
- You can do in the class: (1) whispered discussion, (2) go to toilet quietly, (3) eating and drinking (without alcohol) but keeping the classroom clean。
- You can't do in the class: (1) use laptop or play cell phone (please mute the phone), (2) chat, sleep, play cards, smoke。
- Any questions, please contact lecturer directly or using e-mail or FB。
- The time for quiz is at second secton of the class on Tuesday. There will be about 3~4 questions。
- The make-up quiz/exam is not allowed for no particular reason. Only one make-up is limited out of 4 quizzes.
- Exam notices: (1) examples, exercises 。(2) difinitions, theorems。(3) correct the mistake。
- Cheating in exams is absolutely prohibited. Any form of cheating on an exam will result in a 0 for all the rest exams.
- The scores for the attendance is extra (which is not contained in 100%). The students should attend the classes at least 2/3 of all classes during all the semester so that he/she could get these extra scores.
- Contact the Instructor, if you have any questions about the grades。